Pat’s Roasted Organic Chicken
About this Recipe
By: Christina Hills
This is my mother’s traditional American recipe which I am publishing here for myself and everyone. She is such a fantastic cook! And she makes everything so easy. The great thing about this recipe is that it is NOT a lot of labor. You just need to start early because there is a lot of waiting time. Good for an afternoon when you plan on being home anyways.
My twist on this recipe is to use a cast iron pan but you can use any pan that can go on the stove top later for the gravy. I like it because it easily comes out of the oven to the stove top where you can make the gravy. (If you are going to make gravy )
You might need to adjust the cooking times, so just use a thermometer and check the chicken’s doneness. You can also test by wiggling the legs.
Cooking Notes & Images
roasted chicken resting in pan while you cook the gravy
Cooking the Gravy
cooking the gravy before adding the flour/butter paste
Finished gravy, yum!
Here is the Recipe:
Pat's Roasted Organic Chicken
- Cast Iron Pan or Broiling Pan (not a glass pan because you want to make gravy)
- 1 Whole Organic Chicken 4-5 lbs
- 1 bulb Yellow Onion
- 2-3 Carrots
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 large Lemon
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp flour (gluten free optional)
- 1/2 cup Chicken stock (or water if you don't have any)
- 1 tbsp butter
- Pull Chicken out of fridge and let the Chicken rest at room temperature for 1 hour while you prepare the rest of the ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 400 deg
- Cut up the onion to large chunks
- Cut up the carrots in large chunks too
- Cut up the garlic into small pieces (not minced)
- Cut up the lemon into slices
- In your cast iron pan (or other roasting pan. NOT a glass pan) put a very small amount of oil on the bottom of pan and spread it around with a paper towel. Do not put a lot of oil in pan
- Place chicken into pan and put garlic and squeezed lemons into the cavity
- Sprinkle the carrots and onions around the pan
- Rub 1 teaspoon olive oil on top of the chicken
- Stick a thermometer in the chicken before putting in the oven so you can monitor the internal temperature
- Put the roasting pan/cast iron pan with Chicken into 400 deg oven for 20 min
- Turn oven down to 375deg and cook for aspprox 20 min per pound. So if you have a 4 lb chicken then it would cook for 1 hour 20 min total (for a 4.5 lb chicken)
- Take the chicken out and put on a platter to let rest for 20 min before eating
- While you are waitin gor the chicken to rest, put the pan on the stove to make a gravy with the drippings (Optional)
- Take the flour and butter and mix in a bowl to make a paste, add some broth to the paste and mix and add to the pan and stir. If it's dry add more broth or water.
- you can salt the gravy with 1/8 tsp of salt (optional)
- Put gravy in bowl and serve
Gluten free quiche with all the simple ingredients you have at home! You can also make this vegetarian.
This is rough and I need to make it a second time before I customize it For 4 people Bunch scallions One zucchini cutbup and sauté in olive oil 10 eggs 1/2 cup milk 1/2 cup cheddar cheese ground pepper salt 385 oven 3 potatoes cut up and pat boiled tiny diced chunks...
Homemade Apple Pie Jello tastes just like Apple Pie, but without the fat!