Pat’s Roasted Organic Chicken
About this Recipe
By: Christina Hills
This is my mother’s traditional American recipe which I am publishing here for myself and everyone. She is such a fantastic cook! And she makes everything so easy. The great thing about this recipe is that it is NOT a lot of labor. You just need to start early because there is a lot of waiting time. Good for an afternoon when you plan on being home anyways.
My twist on this recipe is to use a cast iron pan but you can use any pan that can go on the stove top later for the gravy. I like it because it easily comes out of the oven to the stove top where you can make the gravy. (If you are going to make gravy )
You might need to adjust the cooking times, so just use a thermometer and check the chicken’s doneness. You can also test by wiggling the legs.
Cooking Notes & Images
roasted chicken resting in pan while you cook the gravy
Cooking the Gravy
cooking the gravy before adding the flour/butter paste
Finished gravy, yum!
Here is the Recipe:
Pat's Roasted Organic Chicken
- Cast Iron Pan or Broiling Pan (not a glass pan because you want to make gravy)
- 1 Whole Organic Chicken 4-5 lbs
- 1 bulb Yellow Onion
- 2-3 Carrots
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 large Lemon
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp flour (gluten free optional)
- 1/2 cup Chicken stock (or water if you don't have any)
- 1 tbsp butter
- Pull Chicken out of fridge and let the Chicken rest at room temperature for 1 hour while you prepare the rest of the ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 400 deg
- Cut up the onion to large chunks
- Cut up the carrots in large chunks too
- Cut up the garlic into small pieces (not minced)
- Cut up the lemon into slices
- In your cast iron pan (or other roasting pan. NOT a glass pan) put a very small amount of oil on the bottom of pan and spread it around with a paper towel. Do not put a lot of oil in pan
- Place chicken into pan and put garlic and squeezed lemons into the cavity
- Sprinkle the carrots and onions around the pan
- Rub 1 teaspoon olive oil on top of the chicken
- Stick a thermometer in the chicken before putting in the oven so you can monitor the internal temperature
- Put the roasting pan/cast iron pan with Chicken into 400 deg oven for 20 min
- Turn oven down to 375deg and cook for aspprox 20 min per pound. So if you have a 4 lb chicken then it would cook for 1 hour 20 min total (for a 4.5 lb chicken)
- Take the chicken out and put on a platter to let rest for 20 min before eating
- While you are waitin gor the chicken to rest, put the pan on the stove to make a gravy with the drippings (Optional)
- Take the flour and butter and mix in a bowl to make a paste, add some broth to the paste and mix and add to the pan and stir. If it's dry add more broth or water.
- you can salt the gravy with 1/8 tsp of salt (optional)
- Put gravy in bowl and serve
Gluten Free Quiche
Gluten free quiche with all the simple ingredients you have at home! You can also make this vegetarian.
This is rough and I need to make it a second time before I customize it For 4 people Bunch scallions One zucchini cutbup and sauté in olive oil 10 eggs 1/2 cup milk 1/2 cup cheddar cheese ground pepper salt 385 oven 3 potatoes cut up and pat boiled tiny diced chunks...
Apple Pie Jello
Homemade Apple Pie Jello tastes just like Apple Pie, but without the fat!