Beef Stew with Guinness Beer
1.5 hours prep – 8 hours cook time
About this Recipe
This recipe is so easy! it comes together fast, and the Guinness makes it hearty. It originally came from an instagram post that my husband found, but then I modified it a lot.
What I like about this recipe is that it’s fast and easy to make. The key is to cook the onions and garlic first. But you do not need to bother cooking the potatoes first. Using good quality ingredients will make this taste the best.
I like Pomi tomoatoes and I tried for the first time frozen organic beef bone broth. But really you can use any beef broth or chopped tomatoes. This dish is less fatty than the short ribs slow cooker recipe.
Here is the Recipe:
Hearty Beef Stew with Guiness Beer
- crock pot
- 2 lbs beef stew meat (top sirloin)
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 2-3 large carrots diced in large chunks (2 cups approx)
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 3-4 medium yukon gold potatoes or white potatoes
- 1.25 cups Beef Bone broth Use Bonafide Organic Beef Bone Broth if possible
- 14 oz diced tomatoes use Pomi brand if possible
- 1.25 cup Guinness Stout Dark Beer
- 1.5 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt regular salt will work too. to taste
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp Dried tyme
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1-2 envelopes Knox Gelatine Unflavored (Optional) (not the whole box, just an envelope) (or corn starch)
- Dice up onion and cook in a pan until golden brown. Stir frequently. Remove when done and put into the slow cooker.
- While onions are cooking, dice up the carrots.
- Remove onion from pan and add the garlic and cook till golden brown but don't burn it. Remove from pan and add to the slow cooker.
- Cut up the raw potatoes into 1" cubes. Don't bother peeling the potatoes.
Cook on Stove top
- Cook diced onion in a pan until golden brown. Stir frequently. Remove when done and put into the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on the beef and set aside
- Add the garlic to the still hot pan, and cook till golden brown but don't burn it. Remove from pan and add to the slow cooker.
- Heat the pan again if needed till hot. Brown the beef in the pan until seared on all sides. Be careful not to crowd the beef, otherwise it will just steam and it won't brown.
Add to Slow Cooker
- Add Carrots to slow cooker
- Add beef to slow cooker, plus the the onions and garlic (if you missed that step)
- Add beef broth, diced tomatoes, Guinness beer, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, tyme, and salt and pepper to slow cooker.
- Cook for 8 hours on low and serve warm. Adjust salt as needed
- Add gelatine at the end right before you serve to thicken the sauce
A twist on a classic favorite by making Chicken Piccata a pasta dish!
For lasagna lovers who don’t want pasta, this gluten free recipe is great!
Yummy, fast, low cal meal from my brother-in-law Robert!.